Involuntary Emergency Admissions

From Upper Valley Mental Health Resource Guide
Jump to navigation Jump to search


The IEA process begins with a visit to a local hospital Emergency Department or Community Mental Health Clinic (CMHC), and the completion of an IEA Petition requesting admission to New Hampshire Hospital or one of the other NH facilities that accept involuntary emergency admissions. (Note: DHMC does not accept involuntary emergency admissions.) The person being admitted must pose a likelihood of danger to self or others as a result of a mental health condition. If you are concerned about someone's wellbeing and they are unwilling to go to an Emergency Department or a Community Mental Health Clinic, you may use the Prayer and Complaint process to have them receive a medical evaluation. The Prayer and Complaint form can be completed, and if signed by a Justice of the Peace, will direct law enforcement officers to transport the person to the Emergency Department or CMHC. Once the person of concern is at the Emergency Department or CMHC, a doctor will perform a medical evaluation, and a psychiatrist or a mental health clinician will perform a psychiatric/mental health evaluation. The results of the evaluations must be included with the IEA Petition.The person who signs the petition is the "Petitioner." Other witnesses to the person's behavior may also describe those behaviors on the petition. For more information about the process, you can go to the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Service's page by clicking here.

NAMI NH has an informative podcast outlining the process. To view it, click here.

To download the form required for an IEA, click here.

To download the form required for a Prayer and Complaint, click here.

The emergency services staff at West Central Behavioral Health Center can assist in explaining the process and initiating either a Prayer and Complaint process and/or an IEA. Their emergency line is 800-564-2578.