Information on Applying for SSI and Medicaid in VT

From Upper Valley Mental Health Resource Guide
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Applying for Medicaid Vermont DCF

How do I apply?

Complete the 202MED Application:

Click here to print a copy; or

Call 1-800-250-8427 and ask that a 202MED be mailed to you.

Mail your completed application, along with copies of any required supporting documents, to the address listed on the form:

DCF - Economic Services Division Application and Document Processing Center 103 South Main Street Waterbury, VT 05671-1500

Applying for SSI Vermont DCF

Applying for Disability Benefits under Social Security

You apply for Social Security disability benefits either:

Online at

Through your local Social Security Office. To locate the office nearest you, call 1-800-772-1213 toll free or go to the Social Security Office Locator, and enter your five-digit zip code.

Before you apply, you should read one of the Disability Starter Kits developed by Social Security. They include the following helpful information: the definition of disability, a checklist of information and documents you'll need to gather, a worksheet that helps you prepare for your disability interview, and answers to frequently-asked questions about applying for benefits.

Adult Disability Starter Kit

SSI Child Disability Starter Kit (under 18)

Once you've applied, Social Security staff will review your application with you to make sure it is complete. This can be done by phone or face-to-face. If Social Security determines that you meet the work and/or income-related requirements, they will forward your application to DDS so we can determine whether you meet the medical requirements.

What Information Do I Need to Apply for SSI

The more information you have available, the faster your application process will be. These are some of the things you can expect to be asked to provide (from McClatchy-Tribune News Service)

  • Your social security number
  • Your birth certificate or other proof of your age
  • Information about home where you live; mortgage or lease info; landlord's name
  • Payroll slips, bank statements, insurance policies, burial fund records, and any other information about your income & what you own
  • Names, addresses, telephone numbers of doctors, hospitals, and clinics where you have been seen if showing your are disabled or blind
  • Proof of US citizenship or eligible noncitizen status
  • Account number of bank account for automatic deposits